The CTO is expected to provide exceptional technical leadership to assist in all aspects of the business. The role requires constant communication with team members, company departments, stakeholders, and third-party members to guarantee products and internal services are working efficiently. The CTO should be well-versed in present technological trends, familiar with a range of business concepts, be able to think strategically and have strong business acumen.
- Set a vision for how technology will be used in the company.
- Improve on technical aspects of the company’s strategy, making sure it is aligned with the company’s business goals.
- Make sure that the technological resources meet the company’s short and long-term needs.
- Identify research and development goals.
- Lead and manage the technical teams to deliver software, infrastructure and architecture that meets the needs of the company.
- Identify timeframes for the development and deployment of all technological services.
- Make executive decisions on behalf of the company’s technological requirements.
- Act as a mentor to heads and team members.
- Take responsibility for leadership and day-to-day management of direct reports, including performance reviews.
- Assist departments in resolving relevant issues and adopt and retain a consumer-focused viewpoint and support in the delivering of IT projects to market.
- Handle technology budgets and time frames.
- Develop and manage all networking safeguards to decrease any risk of external breaches, and stay on top of security measures to keep client information safe
- Build quality assurance and data protection processes and oversee KPIs and IT budgets to evaluate technological performance.
- Remain up to date with technology trends and developments.
- Take note of stakeholders’ feedback to perform the necessary improvements and adjustments to technology.
- Confirm all technology practices adhere to regulatory standards for the company’s markets and licences.
- Pass on technology strategy to partners and investors.
- Form part of the Senior Management Team.
- Oversee design and changes to the platform architecture.
- Manage the technical architecture strategy and delivery.
- Work with the teams to create and sustain standards of code quality and best practice across the organization.
- Implement and ameliorate internal ITSM and SDLC processes.
- Take responsibility for the company’s IT and Development.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Bachelor’s or higher qualification in computer science or a related discipline.
- Strong experience in managing teams of 30+ software and infrastructure engineers.
- Strong experience in project management and agile methodologies, having managed multiple parallel projects with short deadlines.
- Strong experience in setting up automated testing and CI.
- Outstanding knowledge and experience of development and QA processes, including DevOps practices.
- Proven experience in software development architecture where PHP is considered an asset.
- Ability to display pro-activeness, and the expertise in translating business strategy requirements.
- The strength to multi-task and switch between contexts promptly, motivated by a fast-paced and highly entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to take initiative, while keeping in mind the accountability and leadership responsibility that encompasses.
- Possess an approachable personality with strong communication and interpersonal skills.
The above description is indicative and may vary from one organisation to another.